DECEASED FELLOWS

FERENCZY, Pál, Dr. 1992.

SZLUKA, Emil 1994.

SZÁDAY, Rezső Dr. 1995.

Dr. Julian SZÉKELY 1995.

RUBIK, Ernő Sr. 1997.

BRENNER, András Dr. 1997.

KÁLDOR, Mihály Dr. 1998.

GELEJI, Frigyes Dr. 1999.

NAGY, Menyhért 1999.

KONKOLY, Tibor, Dr. 2000.

BIHARI, István 2001.

TERPLÁN, Zénó 2002.

RAPCSÁK, András Dr. 2002.

ÁGOSTON, Mihály 2002.

ZÁDOR, Mihály 2003.

TÓFALVI, Gyula 2003.

KERKÁPOLY, Endre 2003.

CSANDA, Ferenc 2004.

KOVÁCS, István Dr. 2005.

BÁRSONY, János 2005.

FONYÓ, Zsolt Dr. 2005.

KOCSIS, Károly Dr. 2005.

Dr. Thomas VARGA 2006.

PUNGOR, Ernő Dr 2007 .

Túri János 2007.

Dr. George Benjamin BARKAY 2008.

Meskó Attila 2008.

László, László Dr. 2010.

Petró József Dr. 2010.

Magyar József, Dr. 2011.

Ratkó István, Dr. 2012.

Prohászka János, Dr. 2012.

Miomir Vukobratovic, Dr. 2012

Karsai István, Dr. 2013.

István Bartha, Dr. 2013.

Béla Kulcsár, Dr. 2013.

Gyula Ungvár, Dr. 2013.

Steven N. ANASTASION, Dr. 2013

Pál Michelberger, Dr. 2014.

Boldizsár Vásárhelyi, Dr. 2014

Gordos Géza, Dr. 2014

Jászay Tamás, Dr. 2014

Paál Zoltán, Dr. 2014

Bejczy Antal, Dr. 2015

Böhm János Ferenc, Dr 2015

Richter Nándor Dr. 2015

Benkó Sándor Dr. 2015

Csallány Sándor Dr. 2016

.

Dr. Pál FERENCZY

Graduated in 1954 from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his PhD in 1968 and his DSc in 1979 at the HAS. Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and later full professor at the Institute for Telecommunications at the TUB. He was also Head of the Radio and Television Department. He was active in major broadcasting conventions around the world. He served as International Chairman of the Technical Committee "Oscilloscopes" of the International Electrotechnical Commission. He passed away in 1992.

 

Emil SZLUKA

Graduated in 1949 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He was researcher involved in introducing lighting arrester manufacturing to industry at the Electric Industrial Research Institute. He was a founder and the editor in chief of the periodical "Technica". He was awarded the Silver and the Golden Merit for his work. He received recognition and an award from the Hungarian Academy of Sciences and also a memorial medal from the Soviet Academy of Sciences. He passed away in 1994.

 

Dr. Rezső SZÁDAY

Graduated as Mechanical Engineer. He was Department Head of the Department of Heat Engines at the TUB. He was known as Internationally acknowledged expert of heat engines and steam turbines. He passed away in 1995.

 

Dr. Julian Székely

Graduated from Imperial College, London, England with a B.S.c. and PhD. degree in Chemical Engineering and then worked for a Consulting Engineering firm , taught at Imperial College and the State University of New York at Buffalo. He was a Professor of Materilas Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Techology. He was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1934. He was written seven textbooks (some transleted in Chinese and Spanish), 370 journal articles and edited twelve volumes in German, English, Russian, French, Hungarian and Japanese. He had an active international consulting practice and was a freuqent participiant at international meetings. He passed away in 1995.

 

Sr. Ernő RUBIK

Graduated in 1935 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He was Head of the Department of Engineering at the Aeronautic Division of the Ministry of Transport, later he run his small enterprise that designed small aeroplanes. He was a member of the Board of the Aeroplace Division of the SSME and the editorial board of a periodical "Vehicles". He received the Paul Thissandler Diplom, the Bánki Donát Memorial Medal, the Kossuth Award from the Government, Golden Grade of the Sport Award and the Flagorder of the Hungarian Republic. He passed away in 1997.

 

Dr. András BRENNER

Graduated in 1960 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his PhD in 1964 and his CSc in 1976. He was a manager at the Ganz Danubius Company in Budapest and the Chief Executive of the Welding and the Computer Division at the Department of Central Welding. He was also an associate professor at TUB and columnist of the periodical: "Gép". He was Head of the Welding section of the SSME. He received the highest award twice for creativity in the area of technical development in sciences. He passed away in 1997.

 

Dr. Mihály KÁLDOR

Graduated in 1948 from the Faculty of Mining and Forest Engineering University in Sopron. He earned his CSc in 1957 and his DSc in 1974. He was Professor and Head of Department of Physical Metallurgy at the Technical University of Heavy Industry in Miskolc. He was awarded a prize for the high quality of his two books written with Dr. József Verő about metallurgy. His third book was published in 1991. He was awarded with the Eötvös-ring of the HAS. He passed away in 1998.

 

Dr. Frigyes GELEJI

Graduated in 1950 from the Faculty of Chemical Engineering at the TUB. He earned his CSc in 1962 and his DSc in 1979. He was the Vice President of National Technological Development Committee from 1990 to 1994. He was an Honorary Professor at the TUB, and Vice President of the FTSS. He was also the President of the Technological and Scientific Society of the Textile Industry. He was a member of the Macromolecular and Fiber Committees of the HAS. He received the Vice Wartha award from the Society of Hungarian Chemists in 1965, the Golden Prize for development of the textile industry in 1974 and 1994, and the Eötvös State Prize in 1985. He was the Deputy General Director of the Bay Zoltán Applied Research Foundation. He was the Director of the Bay Zoltán Institute for Materials Science and Technology. He was also a member of the Educational Committee of the WFEO. He was Vice President of the HAE. He passed away in 1999.

 

Dr. Menyhért NAGY

Graduated in 1966 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned a second degree and later a PhD in welding engineering. He used to work in the energy sector. He passed away in 1999.

 

Dr. Tibor KONKOLY

Graduated in 1947 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his CSc in 1963 and his DSc in 1973 and become Eur.Ing in 1992. He was a professor of welding and heat treatment of metals at the Institute of Mechanical Technology and Material Sciences at the TUB. His research covered the areas of nitrocarburizing of steels, automation of welding, heating of metals by infrared halogen radiation, computer aided steel selection and prediction of properties after heat treatment. He was President of the Welding Technology Subcommittee of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, President of the Heat Treatment Section of the Scientific Society of Mechanical Engineers. He was member of the Governing Council of the International Institute of Welding, the International Committee of Non-Destructive Testing, and President and member of the Governing Council of the International Federation of Heat Treatment of Metals. He was the President of the Hungarian Standards Institution. He passed away in 2000.

 

István BIHARI

Graduated from the Faculty of Chemistry at the Eötvös Loránd University, Doctor of Technical University of Budapest. From 1982 to 1991 he was the Managing Director, and from 1991 to 1993, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Chinoin Pharmaceutical and Chemical Co. Ltd. He was Chairman of the Council of the National Committee for Technological Development. He was the Chairman of the Board of Directors at the Corvin Bank Ltd., Chairman of the Scientific Society for Organisation and Management Science and Invited Professor at the Rajk László College. He was the author of about 50 publications in technical and economic reviews. He passed away in 2001.

 

Dr. Zénó TERPLÁN

Graduated in 1943 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the TUB. He earned his PhD in 1950, his CSc in 1952 and his DSc in 1966. He was professor and Head of the Department of Machine Design, as well as Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Vice Rector of the Technical University in Miskolc. He was President at the Mechanical - Metallurgical Section of the Doctor Committee of the HAS, the History of Science and Techniques Committee of the FTSS, and the Hungarian National Committee of the IFTOMM. He was an Honorary Doctor of the Universities of Magdeburg, Miskolc and Leoben. Also, he was an honorary member of the Verein Deutscher Ingenieure, and a full member of the HAS. He has received the Széchenyi Prize. He passed away in 2002.

 

Dr. András RAPCSÁK

Graduated in 1969 from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering at the TUB and in the same year from the Natural Science Faculty of the Kossuth Lajos University in Debrecen. He earned his Doctoral degree also from University of Debrecen, in 1977. He worked as a development engineer in Electric Current Supplying Companies (1963-1973), then in Metripond Scales Factory. He was managing director of Scales Limited Company, and from 1994 Member of the Parliament. He had many patents, inventions and special articles mainly in the subject of electronic scales and scales systems. In 1991 he won the Gábor Dénes Prize for his innovation activity, and the Golden Cross of Hungarian Republic in 1993. He was a member of the Hungarian Electrotechnical Association, the Scientific Association of Machine Industry, and the Scientific Association for Measuring Techniques. He passed away in 2002.

 

Mihály ÁGOSTON

Graduated in 1954 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned a second degree in electrical engineering in 1962. He retired as Director General of the National Technical Information Center and Library in 1990. He was a lecturer at the TUB and Eötvös Loránd University, and Professor at the Gábor Dénes Technical Informatics College. He was the Managing Director of Hunreg Automation Ltd. He passed away in 2002.

 

Dr. Mihály ZÁDOR

Graduated in 1952 from the Faculty of Architecture Engineering at the TUB. He earned his PhD in 1959, his CSc in 1961 and his DSc in 1974. He was Professor of the Monuments Preservation Chair of History Architecture and Monuments at the BUTE. He was a member of the Committee for History and Theory of Architecture of the HAS. He was Vice President of the ICOMOS International Training Committee and President of the Training Committee of ICOMOS-Hungary. He was Honorary President of the Conservation Committee of ICOMOS-Hungary. He was also the President of the Hungarian Section of the Sigma Xi Society (USA). He was Formal visiting professor of Colorado State University (USA) and University of Buenos Aires (Argentina). He was conferred with title “Doctor Honoris Causa" at the Cracow University of Technology in 2000, he got the Prize of the Romualdo Del Bianco Foundation and the István Möller Medal. He passed away in 2003.

 

Dr. Gyula TÓFALVI

Graduated in 1954 from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his PhD in 1968, his CSc in 1974 and his DSc in 1979. The former Scientific Director of the Research Institute for Telecommunication finished his professional engineering in 1989. He was also a Visiting Professor at the TUB. He was the Executive Director of the Hungarian Space Office and President of the Scientific Council on Space Research. He has won: the Grand Prix of Brussels World Exhibition, the Kossuth Prize, the Puskás Prize, the Eötvös Prize, the Zlota Odznake in Poland, and the Star Order of the Hungarian Peoples` Republic.Since November 1996 he is the Vice President of the HAE. He passed away in 2003.

 

Dr. Endre KERKÁPOLY

Graduated in 1948 from the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his CSc in 1964 and his DSc in 1972. He was Head of the Department for Railway Construction at TUB between 1964-1991. He was an Honorary Doctor of the Friedrich List Transportation University in Dresden, President of the Scientific Society of Transport and Vice-President of the FTSS till 1995. He was President of the Hungarian Scholarship Committee. He was awarded the Golden Medal of the Yugoslav Academy of Sciences in 1969, the "Pro Urbe Budapest" in 1988, the Memorial Medal of the TUB in 1989 and the Széchenyi Prize in 1991. He got the Commander's Cross Order of Merit of the Republich of Hungary in 2002. He passed away in 2003.

 

Dr. Ferenc CSANDA

Graduated in 1951 from the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the TUB. He also earned a second degree as an economist engineer at the TUB. He earned his PhD in 1997. He was the Managing Director of SUPERNODIG Co. Ltd. He was the inventor or co-inventor of 32 patents, author of two manuals, 7 specialized books and 135 scientific papers. He got 5 times the Golden Medal of the Excellent Inventor. His searching tools and methods to detect and map unknown communal piping and wires are used world-wide. (In Hungary there were more then 30.000 kilometers of lines found and measured with these tools and methods). Just so were used his patented no-dig methods for repair and renovation of sewers with a length of over 2.000 km in Hungary, Austria, Great Britain, The Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Russia, Yugoslavia, Belgium, Switzerland, etc. He got the Jedlik Ányos Award in 2000. He was Supplementary member of the Control Committee of HAE. He passed away in 2004.

 

Dr. István KOVÁCS

Graduated in 1948 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his PhD in 1968. He got the title of Eur.Ing in 1998 (FEANI) and "Engineer of fifty years' standing" from TUB. He was the Technical General Manager of CSEPEL Iron and Steel Works, thereafter First Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Metallurgy and Machine Industry, and later a scientific director in the Institute of Technology for Machine Industry. He was the member of National Committee for Technological Development for nearly thirty years and titular associate professor of the Budapest University of Economics. He was Honorary Vice President of the Hungarian Electrotechnical Association. He passed away in 2005.

 

Prof. Janos BARSONY

He attended the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest, from which he received the Diploma of Engineering and then the Ph.D. degree. In 1963, he served at the Concrete and Reinforced Concrete Works, Pecs. In 1973 he joined the Pollack Mihaly Polytechnic as Deputy Principal and Head of the Civil Engineering Institute. In 1995 he assumed the position of Deputy Principal and Head of Civil Engineering, Pollack Mihaly Faculty of Engineering at Janus Pannonius University. In 1997 he became Vice Rector for Investment and Development while continuing as Head of the Civil Engineering Insittute. In 2000, he was appointed as Vice Rector for Investment and Development and Head of Civil Engineering Institute, and a member of the University Senate at the University of Pecs. In 2002 he became Dean of the Pollack Mihaly Faculty of Engineering and Head of the Civil Engineering Institute at the University of Pecs. Earlier this year, he retired from this position and became Dean Emeritus. He was a member of the Hungarian Academy of Engineering and of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and was Vice President of Hungarian Chamber of Engineers. He was a member of the International Steering Committee of iNEER, and received the iNEER Award during ICEE-2005 in Glwice, Poland. He passed away in 2005.

 

Dr. Zsolt FONYÓ

Graduated in 1967 from the Faculty of Chemical Engineering at the University of Veszprém. From 1967 to 1971 he worked as a process designer of OLAJTERV for the refining industry. He earned his PhD in 1974 and his DSc in 1986. From 1987 to 1993 he was visiting professor at the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich. He was Full Professor and Head of the Department of Unit Operations and Process Engineering of the TUB. He was the leader of more than 30 industrial design and retrofit projects, author of 7 books and more than 170 scientific articles. He was member of the HAS and President of the Technical Chemistry Committee. He was member of the editorial board of the journal "Chemical Engineering Quarterly" and the "Industrial Chemistry"; received the Best Technical Book Award in 1979 and the Varga József Award in 1998. He passed away in 2005.

 

Dr. Károly KOCSIS

Graduated in 1958, at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering of the Budapest Technical University and in 1963, at the Faculty of Foreign Trade of Budapest University of Economic Sciences. He got his Dr. Univ. degree in 1963 in agricultural engineering and his PhD (DSc) degree in agricultural economics in 1968. He was Professor at Department of Agroenergetics of Agricultural Engineering Faculty of the Gödöllő University. From 1990 to 1996 he was the Rector of the Gödöllő University, and after that he was Vice-Rector and Director of European Study Center in Gödöllő. During 1982-1990 staying in Rome he was Senior Coordinator of the FAO European Cooperative networks on Rural Energy. From 1991 to 1992 he was the President of the Hungarian Rectors Conference. In 972 he organized and till 1982 chaired the Agricultural Energetic Division of HSSEE and in 1991 he was elected as Chairman of the Hungarian Biomass Association. He was member of Curatoriums of Bay Zoltán Foundation, the Soros Hungarian Foundation, the NCTD Technical Development Committee and Chairman of Higher ducation Development Fund. He passed away in 2005.


Dr. Thomas VARGA

He received the title of "Technical Doctor" at ETH Zürich. He was the Head of the Institute for Testing and Research in Materials Technology, and Professor of the Technical University of Vienna. His fields of activity was: welding technology, gas-shielded, ultrasonic-, electron beam- and laser welding; material testing; reliability problems in brittle materials, fracture mechanics. He was a guest professor at the TUB. He was Chief Researcher in international projects between TU Vienna and TU Budapest. He passed away in 2006.

 

Dr. Ernő PUNGOR Founding Member

Graduated in 1948 from the Faculty of Natural Sciences at the Pázmány Péter University in Budapest. He earned his PhD in 1949, his CSc in 1952 and his DSc in 1956. He was member of the HAS from 1976. He was the Dean of Faculty of Chemical Engineering at TUB in 1972 - 1981, and the Head of the General Analytical Department at the TUB in the period between 1979-1990. He was the President of the Hungarian Monitoring Committee for FEANI, member of Scientific Advisory Board of Hungarian Government, and of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. He was an Honorary Doctor and Professor Emeritus of the Technical University of Budapest, Honorary Doctor of the Institute of Technology in Vienna and University of Bratislava, of Bucharest, of Veszprém and of Miskolc, Lomonosov University (Moscow), and Babes-Bolyai University, honorary member of Czechoslovak Academy, the Indian Academy, The Royal Society of Chemistry, the Analytical Chemistry Society of Japan and the Australian Microanalytical Society, Chemical Society of Finland, Finnish Society of Technology. He has made numerous books and over 600 papers on analytical chemistry. He received the Gold Medal for Excellent Inventors and the Robert Boyle Gold Medal in 1986, the Talanta Gold Medal in 1987 and the Gold Medal of the HAS in 1988, the Gold Medal of Árpád Academy (USA) in 1998, Honorary Medal of Federation of European Chemical Societies in 1997, Prize of the Hungarian Spiritual Heritage in 1999 and Pro Scientia Transsylvanica Medal in 2000. From 1990-1994 he was Minister without portfolio and President of the National Committee for Technological Development. From 1994 to 2001 he was the General Director of the Bay Zoltán Foundation for Applied Research. He passed away in 2007.

 

János TÚRI

Graduated as agricultural engineer. After completing his studies at the Agricultural University of Gödöllő he moved to Bóly where he was working as Deputy General Manager of Bóly Agricultural Producting and Commercial Share Company ever since. He manages and controls producing, integrated producing, trade and development. He was acknowledged especially in the field of improving, processing and trading seeds. He got his diploma on seed farming in 1973. He realises the preserving development and environmental protective farming in agriculture. He takes real care of espousing and acknowledging innovative and creative work. It is his achievement that Bóly Rt has modern farming system and it is internationally outstanding. He was the President of Hungarian Seed Trade Association and Seed Produce Council, chair member of Hungarian Association for the Protection of Industrial Property and Copyright and National Institute for Agricultural Quality Control. He has got several professional appreciation of his work, and he was the owner of Baross László commemorative medal (1994), Újhelyi Imre Award (1997) and Gábor Dénes Award (1997). He passed away in 2007.

 

Dr. George Benjamin BARKAY

Graduated in 1955 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his DSc degree in 1972 at the University of Technology, Dept. of Metallurgy, Delft, Holland. He was the Director of the Foundry Center and Head of the Foundry Laboratory in the Israel Inst. of Metals, Technion, Haifa, and also acted as a consultant to government offices and private firms. He was a member of the Board, Mech.Eng. Organization of the Association of Eng. and Architects in Israel. He was Visiting Scientist in MIT, Mass., USA; TNO Metallinstitute Apeldoorn, Holland; Technical University of Budapest, Hungary; Visiting professor University of N.S.W. Sydney, Australia; R&D program manager of Magnesium Technologies Consortium, Israel; He was director of Barkay Technologies Consulting Office and professional assessor of the Chief Scientist of Ministry of Industry and Trade. He passed away in 2008.

 

Prof. Attila MESKÓ

He earned his University Diploma in geophysics from Loránd Eötvös University, Budapest in 1964, got his university doctoral degree, with summa cum laude in 1965, his Ph.D. in 1969, and the Doctor of the Academy title in 1977. In 1990 he became a corresponding member and in 1995 an ordinary member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (HAS). From 1967 till 1968 he was a postdoctoral researcher in Cambridge University and in University of Newcastle upon Tyne, dealing with ocean spreading hypothesis and distribution of earthquakes. Since 1966 he served as a consultant at the Seismic Prospecting Company. In 1970/71 he studied digital seismic processing at Texas Instruments, Houston, Texas (US). From 1973 he is teaching at the Geophysics Department of Loránd Eötvös University, Budapest. Full professor from 1980, department chair from 1985 through 1999. Author and co-author of a dozen university textbooks. Between 1987 and 1995 he also chaired the Environmental Physics Section. He was elected to the Deputy Secretary-General of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in 1999 and Secretary General in 2005. In 2005 he became the vice-president of the Hungarian Scientific Research Found (OTKA). He received the OTKA Arnold Ipolyi Award in 2000, the Publication Award for Academic Publishers in 1986 and the State Prize in 1978. He passed away in 2008.

Dr. László LÁSZLÓ

Graduated in 1948 at the University of Agriculture in Mosonmagyaróvár. He obtained a second degree in 1966 in Gödöllö and another one in 1977 Mosonmagyaróvár. He earned his CSc in 1970. Between 1963-1984 he worked at the University of Agriculture in Mosonmagyaróvár as a researcher and lecturer. Since 1984 he is retired. He has published in different scientific journals. He passed away in 2010.

 

Dr. József MAGYAR

Graduated in 1950 at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, TUB. In 1960 gained the degree CSc. Staff member at the Department of Machine Elements from 1950, full Professor from 1967. Department Head 1965-1973. Lecturer of the subject Machine Elements (1965-2000). Professor emeritus from 1997. Special fields: theory of gear-mesh, systematic design theory. Secretary of the Committee Machine Structures at the HAS from 1970, chairman between 1993-1999. Chairman of the Foundation of the Tribological Committee and Vice President of the International Tribology Council (1976-1993). Secretary of the IFTOMM National Committee from 1970. Member of several Academic Committees. Chairman of Mechanical Engineer Committee at the Chamber of Hungarian Engineers. Owner of 5 invented patents and 9 different civil orders. He received Zielinsky Szilárd Prize (2003), Muttnyánszky Prize (2003) and Botka Imre Prize (2004). He passed away in 2011.

 

Dr. István RATKÓ Founding Member

Graduated in 1966 from the Faculty of Natural Sciences at the Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest. He earned his PhD in 1978 and his CSc in 1985. The former high school teacher is now professor of mathematics at Dennis Gábor College and researcher at the Institute of Postgraduate Studies of Medicine. He was also a member of the János Bólyai Mathematical Society, the János Neumann Computer Science Society, the Association of Hungarian Rheumatologists and an ordinary member of the American Mathematical Society. He was the member of the Nominating Committee of the HAE. He passed away in 2012.

 

 

Prof. János PROHÁSZKA

Graduated in 1950 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the TUB. Where he then taught fundamental subjects in mechanical engineering, material sciences and technology from 1957 until present. In 1953 he was a researcher at the Research Institute for Ferrous Industry. In 1956 he received a doctorate degree at the TUB. From 1956 he worked at the Research Institute for Telecommunications researching the tungsten technology. In 1957 he became the Head of the Division of the Metals Physics in the Research Institute of Applied Physics of the HAS. He was appointed as a Full Professor of the Department of Materials Engineering in Electrical Industry at the TUB in 1964. In 1967 he became the Head of the Department of EEI. In 1972, he organized the Institute for Mechanical Technology and Materials Science, whereupon he became the Deputy Director, and from 1977 he led the Institute until 1985. From that time he is working at the same university as a research professor. Since 1982 he is a member of the HAS. He was the Head of the Department of Technical Sciences at HAS between 1993-1999. In 1988, he won the highest Hungarian award, the State Prize. He was a member of the IIT and this Institute awarded him with the Rockwell Prize. He was also an emeritus member of the CIRP. He was Honorary Doctor of the Miskolc University (1996). He passed away in 2012.

Prof. Miomir VUKOBRATOVIC

He was born in Botos, Serbia, 1931. He received the B.Sc. and his first PhD degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Belgrade in 1957 and 1964 respectively, and his the second D.Sc. degree from the Institute of Mashinovedenya, Moscow, 1972. Since 1968 he was head of Biodynamics Department, then director of the Laboratory for Robotics and Flexible Automation and director of Robotics Center, respectively at Mihailo Pupin Institute. In the period 1995.-2000. Vukobratovic was High Technologies Program director of European Center for Peace and Development of University for Peace established by the United Nations. He was a founder and scientific leader of worldwide recognized Belgrade School of Robotics.
M. Vukobratovic is a full member of Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts, foreign member of Soviet (now Russian) Academy of Sciences, vice president of the Scientific Society of Serbia, full member of International Academy of Engineering, Moscow, full member of International Academy of Nonlinear Sciences, and several other international academies. He was the president of Yugoslav Academy of Engineering and foreign member of Chinese and Hungarian Academies of Engineering.
Selected awards: "7-th July" award - the highest award of Serbia, 1976, for his outstanding achievements in robotics; October prize of Belgrade for 1979; "AVNOJ"award - the highest Yugoslav award, 1982, for his highest achievements in Robotics and Cybernetics; "NIKOLA TESLA", the highest Yugoslav scientific award 1985; "Saint Sava" medal of first order - the highest award of Serbian church, for his world pioneering result in rehabilitation robotics, 1994; diplomas holder of honoured professor at Harbin Institute of Technology (China) and Far Eastern Technical University at Vladivostok (Russia); Doctor honoris causa of Technical University at Temisoara, and Craiova University (Romania); Doctor honoris causa of Moscow State University named after M.V. Lomonosov; Doctor honoris causa of University of Novi Sad (Yugoslavia); holder of "Joseph Engelberger", the most prestigious award in Robotics, for his pioneering worldwide recognized results in applied research and education in Robotics, awarded by Robotic Industries Association in USA, 1996; prestigious award of the society of professors and scientists of Serbia for 1997; golden plaque of Serbian Engineering Society, for outstanding scientific and professional results in Engineering, 1999; "Nikola Tesla" first order medal, the highest Yugoslav recognition in technical sciences, 2002; "Karic Brothers" award 2002. in the field of science and research; first European holder of the "Big Golden Medal", the highest recognition of the International Academy of Engineering, 2003. He passed away in 2012.

 


Dr. István KARSAI

Graduated in 1951 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his PhD in 1971. He earned the title of Eur.Ing. in 1992. He was an invited lecturer at the Department of the Materials Science and Engineering at the TUB, and Head of the Department of Safety Engineering of Machinery at NITELS. He also worked as a welding and materials testing expert for the Ministry of Economic and Transport. Between 1984-1993 he was Head of the Non-Destructive Material Testing Committee and between 1994-1999 the Chairman of the Section for Material Testing of the SSME. From 1978 he was the Hungarian delegate of the International Committee of Non-Destructive Testing. He received the A.G.Pattantyús Prize in 1993. He was a founding member and treasurer of ASM Hungary. Since 1996 he was the Head of the Subcommittee for the Non Destructive Testing of the Hungarian Standards Institution and from 1998 he was the Vice-President of an Expert Committee of the National Accreditation Board. From 1990 he was the Executive Director of the HAE. He passed away in 2012.

Dr. István BARTHA

 

Graduated in 1951 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the József Nádor Technical University in Budapest. He earned a Dr. University degree 1994 and his CSc degree 1996. He received the title of Honorable Professor from the Technological Academy in Debrecen 1992. Since 1956, he has been living in Sweden. His main field of research is corrosion, corrosion protection and ecological design. In 1982, he founded the International Association for Ecological Design, and since 1996 he is the Chairman of it. He was teacher in corrosion and design against it, at the Technical High School-Chalmers in Gothenburg and Lund. He is the manager of Eco-Corro, a consulting agency for ecological and corrosion questions. He passed away in 2013.

Dr. Steven N. ANASTASION

7741 Bridle Path Lane McLean, Virginia 22102 USA
Tel.: 001-703-356-4011

Graduated in 1942 with a BSc from the United States Naval Academy. He earned his MSc in Electrical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1948. He is also a graduate of the Naval War College, 1958, and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, 1964. He was the Vice President and Secretary General of the International of Academies of Engineering and Technological Sciences, till the end of 1999, and consultant to the U.S. National Academy of Engineering on international engineering activities, and to the Center for Ocean Law and Policy of the University of Virginia on ocean affairs. He has received the Chevalier de l`Ordre National du Merite of France, and has been twice awarded the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star from the U.S. Navy. He was an Honorary Member of the National engineering academies of Brazil, the Czech Republic, Poland, Spain and Slovakia. He passed away in 2013.

Dr. Pál MICHELBERGER

 

Graduated in 1952 from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and also from the Faculty of Engineer Corps at the Technical University of Budapest. He earned his CSc in 1960 and his DSc in 1970. The former Dean and Rector of TUB is now a Full Professor. He also works for the Transport & Vehicle Industry. He was President of the Mechanical Construction Science Committee of HAS, President of the FISITA, member of the Board of Directors of the International Association for Vehicle Design, and he is an honorary member of the VDI, a member of the Board of Directors of the IKARUS Ltd., and Hungarocamion Ltd. He is Honorary Member of the Karlsruhe University Senate since 1995. He was Vice President of HAS (1993- 99). He is member of Academia Europaea, the Russian Academy of Transportation, the International Academy of Higher Education, and the European Academy of Science and Arts. He was the President of the Federation of Technical and Scientific Societies. He got numerous awards: Eötvös Loránd Prize (1994), Széchenyi Prize (1995), Pázmány Péter Prize (1999), Eötvös József Prize (2000). He was the President of the Hungarian Accreditation Board until 2004. He was member of the Board. He passed away in 2014.

Dr. Boldizsár VÁSÁRHELYI

 

Graduated in 1961 from the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the TUB. He earned his second degree in applied mathematics from the Eötvös Loránd University in 1969, his CSc in 1974 and his DSc in 1983. He was a scientific consultant at the Institute of Transport Sciences. He was the Hungarian coordinator of the United Nations organized Transeuropean North-South Motorway Project. He was also a visiting professor at the TUB and author of several publications. He passed away in 2014.

 

Dr. Géza GORDOS

 

Graduated in 1960 from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering at the BME as an MSc. He holds a PhD and a Dr. Habil from the BME, as well as a CSc and DSc from the HAS. At the TUB he was serving as Co-Chariman of the Council of the Dept. of Telecom. and Media informatics (that he founded in 1991) and as the Head of the Speech Research Laboratory (since 1972). He was the President of the Inter-University Center for Telecommunications and Informatics run jointly by two universities and nine companies. He was a member of the Committee for National Telecommunications and Informatics advising the Government. He was Past-President of the Hungarian Scientific Association for Telecommunications, and Past-Vice-Rector of the TUB. His previous employments included 3 years in various universities abroad and 7 years in industry. He was a founding member of both of Hungarian Academy of Engineering and the Telecommunications System Committee of the HAS. His 32 decorations included Denis Gabor Prize (1994), the HAS Award (1999), the Széchenyi Prize (2000) and the Officers Cross Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary (civil section) (2004). He passed away in 2014.

 

Dr. Tamás JÁSZAY



Graduated in 1951 from the Mechanical Engineering Faculty at the BME. He earned his CSc. from the Hungarian Academy of Science in 1969. and his DSc. from the BME. in 1971. He is professor emeritus at the Department of Energy Engineering of the BME. He was visiting professor at the University of Karlsruhe and at the Universidad Estadual Campinas (Brazil). He was Chairman of the Board of the Electric Power Research Institute, Hungary from 1994 to 2007. He is honorary president of the Hungarian Energy Association. He is expert of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the OECD International Energy Agency, vice chairman of the Standing Committee on Energy Efficiency and Related Environmental Aspects of the Energy Charter Treaty. The Scientific Association of Energy Economy awarded him the Segner Gold Medal, the Ministry of Industry the Eötvös Gold Medal, and the Hungarian Chamber of Engineers the Hollan Award. As professor emeritus he was run courses on  “Industrial Energy Efficiency", on ”Energy Policy" and on  “Energy – History and Society” at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics. In December 2007 he was the chairman of the IPCC certified and appreciated Dr. Jászay’s active contribution to the work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) laureated  by the 2007. Nobel Peace Price. He passed away in 2014.

 

 

Dr. Zoltán PAÁL

Graduated in 1959 from the Faculty of Chemical Engineering at TUB. He earned his Dr. Tech. in 1962, his CSc in 1968 and his DSc in 1978. Since 1966 he has been working at the Institute for Isotopes of the HAS. He was the Director of this Institute between 1993 and 1998. He is a member of the editorial board of the Reaction Kinetics and Catalysis Letters, and he was the Chairman of the Catalysis Subcommittee of the HAS between 1993 and 1999. He was the author of more than 300 publications. He passed away in 2014.

Dr. Antal K. BEJCZY


Professor Bejczy was born in Hungary. He started his studies as an electrical engineer at the Technical University of Budapest, until he left Hungary in 1956 and emigrated to Norway. At the Oslo University he continued his studies at the Faculty of Applied Physics, and in 1963 he defended his thesis work in the field of nuclear reactor neutron distribution problem. He was teaching there statistical thermodynamics until 1966 when received NATO/Fulbright fellowship at CALTECH as Senior Research Fellow and he focused on optimal control and nonlinear filtering problems. From 1969 until his retirement (32 years) was working for NASA JPL in the field of space robotics. He published 170 papers, 12 technical book chapters on topics in dynamic modeling, sensing, control, telepresence, virtual environments, and human-machine interaction in robotics, and co-edited a book on parallel computation topics in robotics. He was working for JPL as Senior Research Scientist in 1985 and he as Technical Manager in the robotics research program. He was Principal Investigator of a flight experiment  using a force-movement sensor, enhanced hand on the Space Shuttle arm of the Space Shuttle Columbia in 1994. He received 43 NASA innovation awards and holds seven U.S. patents. He was also Professor at Washington University in St. Louis, and supervised ten Ph.D. students' work during eleven years. Dr. Bejczy organized tutorials, workshops and sessions on robotics at IEEE and other technical conferences, and he was working as robotic topics lecture at more than twenty-four universities in nine countries. He was General Chair at several Robotics and Automation conferences, served as a President of the IEEE Council of Robotics and Automation in 1987 and supported the reorganization of the Council as IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) where he served as a member of the governing board during 1989-1999. He received the IEEE Fellow grade and the Jean Vertut Award of SME&RI in 1987, the NASA Exceptional Service and NASA Group Achievement Award Medal in 1991, the IEEE Third Millennium Medal in 2000, the IEEE Life Fellow in 2003, the IEEE RAS Pioneer in Robotics and Automation Award in 2004. He was listed in the Marquis Who's Who in America. - He served as curatorium member of the Zoltan Bay Foundation for Applied Sciences in Budapest in 1993-1999, received the Gabor Baross and Gyorgy Szechenyi Awards in 1997 and 1998, respectively, and the Banki Donat Medal in 1999. He was became an Honorary Member of the Hungarian Academy of Engineering in 2005. He received the AIAA Space Automation and Robotics Award, the ITI Hall of Fame for Engineering, Science and Technology and the Willard F. Rockwell, Jr. Medal in 2007. Antal K. Bejczy is Doctor Honoris Causa at Óbuda University and gave his name to the Center for Intelligent Robotics at Óbuda University in 2012.
He retired in 2001 after 32 years, but continues lecturing and consulting work. He was resides with his wife, Margit, in Pasadena, CA, USA. He passed away in 2015.

János  Ferenc  BÖHM

H—1144  Budapest, Füredi park 5
Tel.: (36-1) 222-9287
E-mail: bjf@t-online.hu

Graduated in  1961 from the Faculty of Engineer—Physicist , specialisation in Dynamics and
Strenght of Machines at the  Technical University  of  Charkow.. He studied the theory of linear and nonlinear torsional vibrations and performed a large number of experiments.
He published over thirty articles , in recent years dealing with technical diagnostics and application of the same in the eshtabilishing of Condition-Depending Maintenance.
He worded the special role of rotating shaft in permanent observing of machine and wehicles state. He patented the light connection digital torsiongraph for permanent  measuring.
He was active participant of multilateral scientific co-operation between the Academies and
education ministrys in 1968-1996.
He was elected full member of Engeneering Academy of the Ukraine from 1992.


Nándor RICHTER

Member of the Board

H-1118 Budapest, Budaörsi út 21. Tel.: (36-1) 319-8824

Graduated in 1954 from the Faculty of Natural Sciences of ELU, and in 1961 from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering of TUB. After several years of teaching praxis, between 1964 - 1991 he worked in Medicor Works, the largest Hungarian medical equipment corporate. He was involved in equipment design, marketing and system engineering on corporate level. Since 1989 senior technical advisor at the Institute for Hospital and Medical Engineering. As an expert, he worked for United Nations agencies (UNIDO, WHO). He has been also involved as expert in relevant works at EU. He is Honorary President of the Electronic Measurement and Biomedical Engineering Section of Scientific Society of Measurement, Automation and Informatics (MATE), (SSMAI). He was the former President of the International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering (IFMBE), and former Vice President of the International Union for Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine (IUPESM). Since 2003 he was Board Member of IUPESM. He has received the Kolos Award and the Krusper Medal. He was Honorary Life Member of IFMBE, and Honorary Life Member of the Bohemian (former Czecho-Slovakian) Purkině Association.

Dr. Sándor BENKÓ

Budapest University of Technology and Economics
Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics
Department of Electric Power Engineering
H - 1022 Budapest, Lóczy Lajos Str. 13.

Obtained his diploma at the Electrical Engineering Faculty of the Budapest University of Technology in 1963. In 1963-1995 worked as a lecturer at the Electrical Engineering Department. Obtained his teacher's diploma in 1972. Is recognized for pioneering work in the teaching and use of digital informatics. His special scientific fields include "the optimization of permanent magnetic fields" and "the digital simulation of electromagnetic fields", the latter the theme of his doctorate defended in 1972. Author of several prize winning books, owner of several awards and distinctions. Leader and manager of the Benkó Dixieland Band, a group of great international recognition with a unique history of festival prizes and awards. Specialized in New Orleans jazz, the BDB was awarded by President Ronald Reagan and has received some of the highest Hungarian government distinctions. Dr. Sándor Benkó is a traveling ambassador for Hungarian culture. In 2006 his activity was acknowledged by Kossuth Prize.

 

Dr. Sandor C Csallany

Dr. Csallany formerly was a Professor of Hydrology and Director of Hydrology Program at W. Kentucky University. Currently, he is associated with theInternational University ofHydroScience and Technology as itsChairman of the Board of Directors and Professor ofHydrologic Engineering. He is the CEO of CENECO Environmental & Engineering Co. MN and was, for nearly ten years, a Partner and Scientific Director of ELGOSCAR International, Kft., Budapest. He earned a Doctor Degree in Civil Engineering, Summa Cum Laude, at BME in ‘70 and also is a Certified/Registered Professional Hydrologist (P.H.). His current research interest is the conversion of geothermal energy. Dr. Csallany has been a Prof. Research Scientist with ISWS, Water Research Center at the University of Illinois. As a consulting Hydrologist/Engineer for UN, UNESCO, ICSU, US Navy and many other organizations as well as a Visiting Professor or Invited Lecturer at several universities and meetings traveled to sixty-one countries. He has written or co-authored books or proceedings, published several scientific articles and numerous technical reports. He is the Founder of the American Water Resources Association (AWRA). Furthermore, he has also conceived the idea, conceptualized and initiated the organization of the following national and international societies: International Water Resources Association(IWRA), American Institute of Hydrology(AIH), American Hydrological Society (AHS). He has been involved in organizing over fifty and national conferences and symposia as the General Secretary of AWRA, the Secretary General of IWRA and the international Presidents of AIH and AHS. Dr. Csallany has served as Editor of AWRA’s Journal of Water Resources and Hydata,  AIH’s  Journal of Hydrological Science and Technology. He was on the Editorial Board of the Hidrologiai Kozlony and served as Deputy-Secretary of the Hungarian Hydrological Society (HHS), prior to moving to the USA. Dr. Csallany is the recipient of numerous awards and honors, among others are: Hungarian National Academy of Sciences’ Special Award for a Research Project, "The Springs of Greater-Budapest", American Water Resources Association:  Sandor C. Csallany Institutional Award for " Exemplary Contributions to Water Resources Management",International Water Resources Association: Honorary Secretary General, American Institute of Hydrology: Honorary President,"Founder’s Award", HungarianHydrological Society: Honorary Member